Immigration Reform Bill’s Big Question is Path to Citizenship

Posted on September 4, 2013. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , , , |

Should the 11 million immigrants living undocumented in the U.S. get a path to citizenship?

That is the big question as Congress prepares to debate immigration reform & citizenship in the next few weeks.

While some House Republicans agree that undocumented immigrants should get some form of legal status, most disagree with the Senate’s plan.

The Senate immigration reform bill proposes to create a path to citizenship called Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI).

RPI would give undocumented immigrants legal status valid for six years with an option for renewal. After 10 years of lawful status, the RPI immigrants would be eligible for permanent residency, green card status.They would have to remain green card holders for three years and then they would be eligible for citizenship. The path to citizenship from RPI status to citizenship would take at least 13 years.

House Republicans say people who are living in the U.S. without authorization because they either illegally crossed the border or overstayed their visas should not be rewarded a special path to American citizenship. They say it is unfair to millions of people who are waiting in line for a green card through the current legal process.

Congress will return from its summer break the week of Sept. 9. All the focus will be on the Republican-led House of Representatives. It’s likely that the House will reject the Senate’s bill. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., said recently the he did not support the bill: “We think a legal status in the United States, but not a special pathway to citizenship, might be appropriate.”

The Senate bill passed in June and aside from the path to citizenship provision, it includes provisions to increase border security and streamline the legal immigration system.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Documents to be Submitted at the US Airport to Demonstrate Your Intention to Return to the United States After a Long Absence

Posted on October 9, 2012. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

Being a citizen of a foreign country, you may become a permanent resident of the United States and there are a quite a few ways through which you may immigrate to the United States. You will have to be sponsored by a relative or an employer in America and undergo a lot of paperwork. That is indeed, a tiresome process. However, you may also obtain an immigrant visa, if you win the DV lottery program and if you are eligible for an immigrant visa. But the US immigration officials will allow you to enter into the country only if you are admissible into the United States. Once you enter the country with an immigrant visa, you may get a Green Card, that is issued to foreign nationals who are granted lawful status in the United States. Green Card holders are granted a variety of rights and you may also travel abroad freely with a few restrictions. But a prolonged travel may cause a lot of troubles and you may also be denied entry into the United States, if you travel abroad for a long period of time without proper documentation.

If you are found to travel abroad often with an intention of abandoning your immigration status in America, you may not be allowed to return to the United States and your Green Card may be revoked. But there are certain circumstances where you might have traveled and resided in a foreign country for genuine reasons. In such cases, upon your return, you will have to prove that you had not planned to make that foreign country your home and you will have to prove that you intend to live in the United States, through proper documentation. You may use your Green Card to re-enter the country, if you had not resided abroad for more than a year. But, if you intend to travel abroad for more than a year, you will have to obtain a re-entry permit and that permit will allow you to travel abroad for two years and less. However, a re-entry permit may alone may not be sufficient, if the US immigration officers doubt that you do not intend to make the United States your permanent home. Similarly, you will have to obtain a returning resident visa from an overseas US Embassy Consulate, if you had stayed outside the United States, beyond the validity of your re-entry permit.

In such cases, you will have to present few other documents and you need to demonstrate that you intend to reside permanently in the United States. You will have to submit proofs of your social and family ties in the country. Still, the US immigration officers will ask you about the purpose of your prolonged travel and whether you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status in the United States, even if you submit a re-entry permit and other documents. Your employment in the United States, taxes that you had filed and your family ties will help you to prove that you intend to return to the United States and make the country your permanent home. Similarly, your US mailing address, property in the United States, your business in the United States, US driver’s license and your US bank accounts, may be considered by the US immigration officers. Such evidence may be presented in order to prove that your travel outside the country is only temporary.




Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )

Immigration Row Heats Up In Arizona

Posted on July 28, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , |

President Obama is battling to block a controversial new immigration law aimed at driving more than 400,000 undocumented workers out of the state of Arizona.  Read more at


Arizona’s immigration law has little impact on Arizona’s tourism

Arizona immigration law tints dispute over slaying

Arizona Boycott Flops, Stats Show

On Eve of Law, ‘Fear-Driven Exodus’ from Arizona Distresses ABC

Nebraska’s Fremont City Council Suspends Imposition of Immigration Law

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

NDN’s Alicia Menendez and J.D. Hayworth Discuss

Posted on May 5, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

Source: NDN’s Alicia Menendez and J.D. Hayworth Discuss

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

US Immigration Reform Legislation on Hold

Posted on April 19, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , |

Share Share

As the U.S. Congress moves beyond the issue of health care, some lawmakers are pushing for an overhaul of the nation’s immigration system. At the heart of the debate is a proposal to give legal status to millions of illegal immigrants living in the United States. The issue engenders strong feelings from both sides and recently tens of thousands of supporters of reform marched in Washington. …….Read more……

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 3 so far )

How do I extend L-2 status?

Posted on March 24, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , |

An L-2 non-immigrant visa is a dependent visa category available for the immediate family members, i.e., spouse and unmarried children (under the age of 21) of L-1 visa holders who wish to enter the U.S.

L-2 visa holders can live in the United States for the entire length of time authorized in their spouse’s L-1 visa. L-2 visa holders are responsible to extend L-2 status if their spouse’s L-1 visa has expired, and they intend to continually live in the United States with their spouse. You may travel in and out of the U.S. on L-2 visa as long as you maintain valid status, and the principal L visa holder maintains his or her status. You may attend school in the U.S. while on L-2 status.

Under US immigration law, L-2 visa holders can apply for work authorization upon entering the United States. L-2 spouse of an L-1 visa holder can obtain a general Employment Authorization. The employment authorization must be applied separately by the L-2 spouse. The L-2 child is not permitted to work.

To extend your stay in the United States, you should file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status, with USCIS before your visa expires. If you are unsure of your current departure date, check the date on Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to find out how long you are allowed to stay in the country. USCIS recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires, but the USCIS Service Center must receive your Form I-539 application by the day your authorized stay expires.

If an employer files a Form I-129 to extend the status of L-1 visa holder, and the L-2 spouse and/or unmarried children under age 21 also want to extend L-2 status, they will need to file a Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status. While the dependents of L-1 cannot be included on Form I-129 they can all be included on one Form I-539 to extend L-2 status.

After you have submitted Form I-539 application to extend L-2 status, USCIS will mail you a receipt. This receipt will provide a number assigned to track your Form I-539 application, as well as the projected processing time. An extension of stay is not automatic. USCIS will look at your situation, your status, the reasons you want to extend L-2 status, and will decide whether to grant your Form I-539 application.

If your application is received by USCIS before your status expires, and if you have not violated the terms of your status and meet the basic eligibility requirements, you may continue your previously approved activities in the United States (including previously authorized work) for a maximum period of 240 days, or until a decision is made by USCIS on your application or the reason for your requested extension has been accomplished.

If your Form I-539 application for an extension is approved, you will be issued a replacement I-94 with a new departure date.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...