Immigration Reform Bill’s Big Question is Path to Citizenship

Posted on September 4, 2013. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , , , |

Should the 11 million immigrants living undocumented in the U.S. get a path to citizenship?

That is the big question as Congress prepares to debate immigration reform & citizenship in the next few weeks.

While some House Republicans agree that undocumented immigrants should get some form of legal status, most disagree with the Senate’s plan.

The Senate immigration reform bill proposes to create a path to citizenship called Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI).

RPI would give undocumented immigrants legal status valid for six years with an option for renewal. After 10 years of lawful status, the RPI immigrants would be eligible for permanent residency, green card status.They would have to remain green card holders for three years and then they would be eligible for citizenship. The path to citizenship from RPI status to citizenship would take at least 13 years.

House Republicans say people who are living in the U.S. without authorization because they either illegally crossed the border or overstayed their visas should not be rewarded a special path to American citizenship. They say it is unfair to millions of people who are waiting in line for a green card through the current legal process.

Congress will return from its summer break the week of Sept. 9. All the focus will be on the Republican-led House of Representatives. It’s likely that the House will reject the Senate’s bill. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., said recently the he did not support the bill: “We think a legal status in the United States, but not a special pathway to citizenship, might be appropriate.”

The Senate bill passed in June and aside from the path to citizenship provision, it includes provisions to increase border security and streamline the legal immigration system.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Steps On How To Apply For US Citizenship?

Posted on August 21, 2013. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , |

Each year, the U.S. welcomes thousands of new citizens.According to USCIS, in fiscal year 2013, approximately 503,104 people have been naturalized.

What is naturalization? Naturalization is the process by which someone from another country becomes a U.S. citizen. People who were born in the U.S. or who were born in another country but had at least one U.S. citizen parent do not have to become naturalized for they are citizens by birth.

Here are the Steps on How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship:

Step 1: The first step is finding out if you are eligible for naturalization. To be eligible to apply, all applicants have to be at least 18 years. Since children automatically become citizens when their parents or guardians become citizens, they are not eligible to apply directly. Most applicants will also have to have been permanent residents (green card holders) for at least five years. The two types of applicants who do not have to fulfill that five-year requirement are spouses of U.S. citizen and military men.

Step 2: The second step is preparing your documents. If you have determined that you are eligible to apply for citizenship, the thing to do next is to prepare the documents you must submit. You are required to include:

  • 2 passport-sized taken within 30 days of application
  • A photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card (green card)

Other documents necessary will depend on your specific case. Unless USCIS requests originals, you will only have to submit copies.

Documents that are not in English must be translated.

Step 3: The third step is completing form N-400, Application for Naturalization. The application is separated into eight parts. You will be asked to answer several questions, including questions about your eligibility and your time spent abroad. You must sign and date Form N-400 once you have filled out all the information. Be sure to check that all information is correct.

Step 4: The fourth step is mailing N-400. You have to include the current fee for citizenship, which is $595. You are only allowed to pay by check or money order. It must be payable to “The U.S. Department of Homeland Security”

Step 5: After these steps have been completed, you will wait for a notification from USCIS. USCIS will let you know when to attend your biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment, which are used to conduct an FBI background check.

After the biometrics appointment, you will have to attend an interview, during which your application will be reviewed and you will take your citizenship test.


Step 6: The final step of the process is finally the citizenship ceremony. This is where you take the Oath of Allegiance and promise loyalty to the U.S. After you take your oath, you will receive your citizenship certificate and be an official U.S. citizen.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

How To Change My Address With Immigration

Posted on June 27, 2011. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , , , |

United States is one of the few countries in the world where the opportunities for jobs and education have been always present for people the world over. It has been the center of attraction for people of all professions, looking for a brighter future and better opportunities. United States, no doubt, has made immense progress in the fields of medicine, education, technology and business support sector. For this purpose, people from different countries prefer migrating to US.


Amplify’d from

The US, like other countries has various rules and regulations pertaining to immigration, which are the basic guideline to be followed in order to complete the process of immigration with all legalities being followed.

Being a country with one of the largest immigrant population, US immigration authorities consider it more important to keep a record of all foreigners entering through the immigration process. For this reason, they have devised a law, which requires all immigrants to report their current address to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).



Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

US Citizenship Through Parents

Posted on November 19, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , |

Working and living in United States as a citizen is much easier. Most people try to become citizens to obtain the benefits of being a US Citizen. An individual may become a citizen by birth in the US, or by birth to US citizen parents, or through naturalization. Many people apply for citizenship as adults. If they are foreign born nationals and wish to become citizens of United States, they must follow the naturalization process which includes taking the naturalization test and meeting other eligibility requirements. Another way is by US Citizens passing the citizenship to their children (either adopted or biological children)

Both citizens and non – citizens are given many rights by the US. However US Citizens are given the most rights.  The US Citizens are given the right to vote, bring the family members to United States, obtain citizenship for children who are born abroad, travel with a US passport, they are eligible to work in federal jobs, enjoy international recognition, protection from embassy, right to  become an elected official and show patriotism towards the country.

Eligibility Requirements

US citizenship is one of the greatest and most important thing that a child may get through his or her citizen parents. To obtain citizenship through parents, the Form N600 must be filed with USCIS. An individual must fulfill the requirements for obtaining citizenship through parents. There are two strict requirements that a person must meet in order to file form N600. First, if the child is already in the United States, they must meet the specifications of section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This includes the following requirements.

  • The child must be a minor, unmarried and under 18 years of age
  • At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen through birth or naturalization, and
  • The child must be in legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, with legitimate residence in the US.

The step children who are not adopted by the US citizen parent, and parents of such children will not be able to file form N600.  Also children who are born out of wedlock will not be considered children of that parent unless they are legitimated while in the custody of the legitimating parent before they can apply for U.S. Citizenship.

Children who are not currently in United States but are born to US citizen parents may apply for citizenship through parents by filing the form N600. They may obtain citizenship based on what is outlined in section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. These children must meet almost all of the eligibility requirements as that of the children who are already in United States. The eligibility requirements in this case is detailed below.

  • At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen.
  • If deceased, the parent must have been a U.S. citizen at time of death.
  • The U.S. citizen parent must have been present in US or its outlying territories for at least five years
  • The child must be a minor and unmarried.
  • The child must be in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parents.
  • The child must have temporary or legal physical presence in the U.S. at the time of application.
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 5 so far )

What are the good moral character requirements to apply for U.S. Citizenship?

Posted on April 28, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

Share Share

U.S. citizenship requirements states that, you can obtain U.S. citizenship either by birth or by law. You acquire U.S. citizenship by birth, if you were born in the U.S. or if your parents are U.S. citizens. Obtaining U.S. citizenship by law is through naturalization.

The U.S. citizenship requirements also states that, any individual who is applying for U.S. citizenship should have good moral character. USCIS determines whether you have a good moral character based on the laws which the Congress has passed. The good moral character requirements should be satisfied so that the applicant does not become a threat to the United States government.

Good moral character requirements:

USCIS considers the following, to establish that you satisfy the good moral character requirements:
• Criminal Record
• Lying

Criminal Record

According to U.S. citizenship requirements, you should not be involved in any crime, murder and burglary. The bars will be called during the naturalization examination, therefore you cannot falsely justify that you satisfy the good moral character requirements. Certain offenses will temporarily prevent you from obtaining U.S. citizenship for a particular period of time.

Form N-400, Form for Naturalization asks a number of questions about your criminal history. If you do not mention about all the crime details, your application for U.S. citizenship will be rejected. Per U.S. citizenship requirements even if a crime is removed from your record or if it occured before your 18th birthday, you should mention that as well in your application. If you have committed some serious crimes, USCIS will not grant you citizenship.


Always tell the truth during your interview with USCIS. If you lie or hide anything, your application will be denied for lacking good moral character. If USCIS grants you the U.S. citizenship and later finds out that you have lied during the interview, your citizenship may be taken way. Moreover the purpose of these interviews is to verify that you will not be a threat to the United States.

Examples that indicate that you are lacking the good moral character requirements:
• Any crime that was intended to harm a person.
• Crime against the U.S. government.
• Practicing polygamy.
• Involvement in illegal gambling, prostitution and smuggling.
• U.S. citizenship requirements states that you should not be a drunkard.
• Lying for the sake of immigration.
• Persecuting anyone because of race, religion, political or social group.
• Involvement in terrorist activities.
• Failing to pay any court ordered payments.

The other U.S. citizenship requirements that you should qualify are – you should be 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident. You should have proficient knowledge and fluency in English. You should also possess good knowledge concerning the history, role and functioning of the U.S. government. Finally you have to take an oath that you are attached to the U.S. constitution. If you meet all the requirements you are not far away from being a U.S. citizen.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 2 so far )

Pass US Citizenship Test Exam and Interview

Posted on April 14, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

Share Share

What will you do if you needed to take the US Citizenship Test and Interview?  Immigration will help you answer some tougher questions used by immigration officers.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )

Who can file Form N-600?

Posted on April 12, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , |


Form N-600 is the application submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS for Certificate of Citizenship. It is an application to receive a proof of U.S. Citizenship that was acquired at birth or after birth (derived) through an U.S. Citizen parent. Citizenship application for children can be submitted to the USCIS by filing Form N-600, which is a good way to evidence citizenship in the long run because passports expire. Preparing a citizenship application for children is easy, you need to answer few questions about yourself, citizenship, military and about your parents through whom you are claiming citizenship.

Form N-600 requirements

Form N-600 requirements states that if you belong to any one of the following categories, you are elligible to file Form N-600.

• Children who acquired U.S. Citizenship by birth or after birth(derived) through U.S. Citizen parent.

• Children born to U.S. Citizen parent outside the U.S.

• Children who fulfill the requirements of becoming a U.S. citizen prior to their 18th birthday.

• The Citizenship application for children who are adopted or biological children and are under 18 years should be filed by the U.S. parent.

• Immediate relative can file Form N-600 for an adult applicant with disability.

To obtain the Citizenship application for children, Form N-600 requirements must be met along with the following:

• Atleast one parent must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization.

• Children must be under 18 years.

• Children who are temporarily in the U.S. with lawful admission.

• The citizen parent must have been in the U.S. physically for atleast five years.

Children listed in the following categories are not eligible for a citizenship application :

• Children who do not have a claim for U.S. citizenship

• Step daughter or Step son

• Children who were not legitimated before their 16th birthday

• Children who are residing outside the U.S. and parents are U.S. Citizens.

If Form N-600 requirements are met, you can begin to file the application. Form N-600 requirements include submitting the following documents to the USCIS.

• Birth Certificate

• Marriage Certificate

• If a marriage has terminated, include documents like divorce decree, death certificate.

• Proof of U.S. Citizenship

• Legitimation proof for children born out of wedlock

• Proof for legal custody for children whose U.S. Citizen parents have divorced or separated

• Adoption decree for children who are adopted.

• Evidence of Lawful Permanent Residence for individuals claiming U.S. Citizenship through alien parents who have naturalized.

• Evidence for physical presence in the U.S.

• Translation of foreign language documents.

According to Form N-600 requirements, you have to submit two identical passport size colored photographs, which were taken within 30 days to the USCIS along with the supporting documents, filing fee and Form N-600. Ensure that you sign the application. If you do not sign the application and if the filing fee is not attached, your application will be rejected. Do not send any original documents to USCIS, unless you are asked to send. If you change your address while your application is pending, you must inform the change of address to USCIS.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 8 so far )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...