Archive for December, 2011

Newsletter August 2011 – Green Card Renewal

Posted on December 15, 2011. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , |

Green Card Renewal

Renewing your Green Card is an important process for Lawful Permanent Residents in order to maintain their legal status in the United States. Current Green Cards are valid for a period of 10 years. Remember that a Green Card is simply official documentation of your status as a legal Permanent Resident, much like an identification card. Therefore, it is important to keep your card up to date. An expired Green Card may make it difficult for you to prove that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, and it can also affect your ability to travel out of the country and/or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

In order to keep your card up to date, Green Card holders need to file Form I90 in order to renew their Green Card.

When should a Green Card Renewal application (Form I90) be filed?
• You must file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident your card will expire within the next six months. You cannot file for renewal more than six months in advance.

NOTE: It is extremely important that you immediately file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and your card has expired.

• You should file a Green Card Renewal application if you have an older version of the Green Card. These cards have no expiration dates and though you are not required by the USCIS to renew the older card versions, the USCIS strongly recommends you apply to renew your Green Card.

When should a Green Card Replacement application (Form I-90) be filed?
There are times when a Lawful Permanent Resident needs to request a Green Card Replacement before the current card expires.

Therefore, when should you file for a Green Card replacement using Form I-90? If:
• Your card was has been lost or stolen
• Your card was mutilated or destroyed.
• Your card has a mistake on it. For example, you received a Green Card and the name was misspelled, than you should immediately file for a green card replacement (Form I90) to have the mistake corrected.
• You never received you Green Card. card was never received.
• Your name has changed, such as through marriage, divorce or for any other reason.
• You just turned 14 years old. If you became a permanent resident before you were 14 years old, you are required to replace your old.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Michigan Governor Says Immigration Key to Economic Development

Posted on December 12, 2011. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

In a speech delivered at Delta College on December 1, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder stressed the important role immigrants play in the state’s economy and vowed to encourage education- and business-related immigration.

Calling federal caps on H1-B temporary work visas “arbitrary,” Snyder urged Michigan’s congressional delegation to undertake legislation to permanently raise the work visa cap and eliminate it altogether for those who earned an advanced degree from a U.S. college or university. He said Congress should pass a “green cards for grads” bill that is being considered, which would create a pathway for graduates of science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs to obtain permanent residency status.

“It is time to enact this legislation and allow these valuable members of our higher education communities to become permanent, contributing members of our Michigan companies and communities,” Snyder said.

He also drew attention to the EB-5 immigrant investor program, which provides green cards to foreign entrepreneurs who invest capital in job-creating U.S. enterprises. Snyder said he will petition the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to renew the program, which is set to expire in September 2012. He said he would also like to see eligibility requirements change, so that those who invest $500,000 in a Michigan business and create five jobs in the state can obtain an EB-5 visa.

Snyder reaffirmed his support of the Michigan Global Initiative, which is a program to attract international students and business people to the state. However, he said immigration reform is needed at the federal level.

“While the Michigan Global Initiative can help our state recapture the entrepreneurial power of immigrants, aspects of the nation’s immigration ins laws pose needless barriers to their success,” Snyder said. “Immigration laws are established at the federal level, so it’s important that Michigan partner with the federal government to better attract highly educated foreign talent.”

Snyder delivered his speech two days after the U.S. House of Representatives voted by a wide margin to eliminate business visa per-country caps. If signed into law, this measure would not raise the total number of business visas granted, but would change the U.S. visa application system by granting these documents to immigrants on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Source:Michigan Governor Says Immigration Key to Economic Development

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...