Archive for November, 2011

Brad Bernstein: Who Qualifies for a Green Card?

Posted on November 15, 2011. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , |

Listen to internet radio with sparbernstein on Blog Talk Radio

In this episode, Brad discusses several ways to qualify for a green card. He also answers immigration questions from two live callers during the show. Since 1958, Spar & Bernstein has helped over 50,000 with their immigration ins issues.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

When And How To Get Green Card Renewal?

Posted on November 2, 2011. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , , , |

Green Card Renewal is a must for all Green Card holders to have an updated card with all the latest security features. Failing to do so will not affect their permanent resident status in any way but will cause trouble during any international travels or in finding an employment. Even those who are on the green cards which do not have an expiration date, green card renewal is a must. For this purpose Form I-90 is used.

When to file in for a Green Card Renewal?

Green Card holders need not wait till the exact date of expiration of their card to submit their I-90.
If their card is about to expire within the next six months, they can go in for a green card renewal. In case they are outside the US with a green card that is about to expire and they will return back to the US before the expiry of the card, then they can file in their I-90 as soon as they are back in the country. However when the Green card holder is outside the US and hi/her green card has already expired, then the only option available to them is to get the guidance of the US Embassy in that country and proceed further as per their instructions.
Does the Green Card renewal hold good for Conditional residents?

Conditional green cards are valid only for 2 yrs and this cannot be renewed just like a normal Green card. The conditional resident should file in Form I-751 in order to remove the conditions and become a permanent resident. They must submit this form before 90 days of the expiry of the card.

Similarly persons who have obtained a Green card by entrepreneurship in the US cannot go in for a green card renewal but file in Form I-829, 90 days prior to the expiration of their card, to remove the conditions.

Filing Fee

The filing fee varies from a permanent resident and a conditional resident. It is totally $450 ($365 +$85 – application + biometric fee) for green card renewal for normal green cards. For conditional residents it is totally $590 ($505 +$85) and for those who need to file in I-829, it is $3835 totally ($3750 + $85)

How to go about the Green card renewal process?
The process of green card renewal involves the following steps

• Filing in Form I -90 with the USCIS – Both E-filing and filing through mail are available.
(All mail based forms should be sent to the USCIS lockbox facility at Phoenix.)
• Including all the necessary proof of name change, biographic information change if the green card renewal is based on either of these.
• Attaching a copy of the previous version of the permanent resident card if sending the I-90 by mail.
• Attaching Form I-797(Notice of Action) in case the applicant is filing in I-90 when he/she did not receive the issued card.
• Attaching the correct filing fee in the form of check to the Department of Homeland Security.
• Attaching Form G-1145 if the applicant wishes to receive an email or a text message notification of the acceptance of the I-90 by the USCIS.

The online filing is simple and all that an applicant needs here is a computer and a reliable internet connection. Once the applicant clicks on the E-filing Form I90 tab on the USCIS webpage, the online filing of green card renewal instructions process begins. Once finished with the application, the site will issue a confirmation receipt notice which should be saved carefully. The supporting documents for proof should be mailed separately to the Nebraska Service Center. The USCIS will not the process the online application until it receives the necessary evidence from the applicant.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...