When Do I Fill In The Green Card Renewal Application?

Posted on December 17, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , |

The green card renewal application becomes a part of the life of a permanent resident of the US. As a green card holder of the US, you can work and live in the US permanently. You need to make sure that you keep your green card updated using the green card renewal application.


As a green card holder of the US, you can work and live in the US permanently. Permanent resident card is a proof of being officially granted immigration benefits to live and work in the United States legally. Additionally, it qualifies you for US citizenship as permanent resident status is one of the main eligibility requirements for citizenship.

Form I-90 Application:

Generally, a permanent resident card is valid for ten years. On its expiry, you have to file Form I-90, the green card renewal application with the USCIS. If you have an expired green card, make sure you renew your card at the earliest. Though you will not be penalized for having an expired permanent resident card, nor will you lose your permanent resident status, it is in your best interests to get it renewed. Your permanent resident status in the US does not expire. Per US immigration laws, you should carry evidence of your status (a valid, unexpired green card or temporary passport stamp). If you do not renew your expired / expiring card, you may have difficulties in getting employment, other benefits and re-entry into the United States from abroad. Ensure that you apply for your new green card before you travel and have with you on any trip the temporary documentation you received. After traveling abroad, if you try to re-enter the US with an expired green card, you may experience unavoidable delays during the inspection process at the port of entry.

Also note that employers hiring you will not accept an expired LPR to verify employment authorization for new hires. You can use other documents that you will find on the Form I-9 (Employment eligibility verification form) such as a social security card and a driver’s license or have temporary evidence of status, such as an I-551 stamp or even the receipt notice for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

A conditional resident should not be mistaken for a permanent resident. A conditional resident will get an LPR card that will be valid for two years only. You have to get the conditions removed during the 90 days period before the card expires and this card cannot be renewed. The conditions must be removed else you will lose your conditional resident status. You have to file Form I-751 to remove the conditions. Once conditions are removed, you will be issued a permanent resident card that will be valid for the next ten years.

Per the USCIS, if your Permanent Resident Card has less than six months of remaining validity, you must renew your card before filing an application for naturalization. A copy of the unexpired green card should be submitted with the application for Naturalization.

After you send your completed LPR card renewal application to the USCIS, within 30 days you will receive an Application Receipt Notice with a 13-character number. This Receipt Notice is the acknowledgement that USCIS has received your application and that it is being processed. You can use the 13-character number on the receipt to check the status of your application while it is pending. The USCIS will also notify you about the fingerprinting appointment and subsequently, your interview date with instructions related to the supporting documents you should bring. The entire green card renewal application process approximately takes three months.


Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: