US Citizenship Through Parents

Posted on November 19, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , , , , |

Working and living in United States as a citizen is much easier. Most people try to become citizens to obtain the benefits of being a US Citizen. An individual may become a citizen by birth in the US, or by birth to US citizen parents, or through naturalization. Many people apply for citizenship as adults. If they are foreign born nationals and wish to become citizens of United States, they must follow the naturalization process which includes taking the naturalization test and meeting other eligibility requirements. Another way is by US Citizens passing the citizenship to their children (either adopted or biological children)

Both citizens and non – citizens are given many rights by the US. However US Citizens are given the most rights.  The US Citizens are given the right to vote, bring the family members to United States, obtain citizenship for children who are born abroad, travel with a US passport, they are eligible to work in federal jobs, enjoy international recognition, protection from embassy, right to  become an elected official and show patriotism towards the country.

Eligibility Requirements

US citizenship is one of the greatest and most important thing that a child may get through his or her citizen parents. To obtain citizenship through parents, the Form N600 must be filed with USCIS. An individual must fulfill the requirements for obtaining citizenship through parents. There are two strict requirements that a person must meet in order to file form N600. First, if the child is already in the United States, they must meet the specifications of section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This includes the following requirements.

  • The child must be a minor, unmarried and under 18 years of age
  • At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen through birth or naturalization, and
  • The child must be in legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, with legitimate residence in the US.

The step children who are not adopted by the US citizen parent, and parents of such children will not be able to file form N600.  Also children who are born out of wedlock will not be considered children of that parent unless they are legitimated while in the custody of the legitimating parent before they can apply for U.S. Citizenship.

Children who are not currently in United States but are born to US citizen parents may apply for citizenship through parents by filing the form N600. They may obtain citizenship based on what is outlined in section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. These children must meet almost all of the eligibility requirements as that of the children who are already in United States. The eligibility requirements in this case is detailed below.

  • At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen.
  • If deceased, the parent must have been a U.S. citizen at time of death.
  • The U.S. citizen parent must have been present in US or its outlying territories for at least five years
  • The child must be a minor and unmarried.
  • The child must be in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parents.
  • The child must have temporary or legal physical presence in the U.S. at the time of application.

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

5 Responses to “US Citizenship Through Parents”

RSS Feed for Immigrate In USA Comments RSS Feed

Can I use any visa for my child to enter US before obtaining US Citizenship. So that he can get education. she is below 18 years, so can you please suggest me something.

Whats the difference between N-600 and N- 600K Forms? When to use these form?


I think you can answer your question well since your site is all about US Citizenship. aren’t you?:)

What are the responsibilities that come with being a U.S. citizen?

Form N-600 is for individuals to document U.S. citizenship status based on citizen parentage and Form N-600 K is for a child who regularly resides abroad to claim U.S. citizenship based on parentage.

Where's The Comment Form?

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: