What supporting documents must I submit with my Green Card application?

Posted on April 21, 2010. Filed under: Immigration | Tags: , |

Share Share

The final stage of obtaining a Green Card is Adjustment of status. One needs to file Form I-485, Green Card application with the documents in support of Form I-485 to adjust the status to permanent resident.

You must read the instructions of Green Card application carefully because any mistakes or if you miss out to attach the documents in support of Form I-485 may result in delay and may cause your Green Card application to be rejected.

The following are the generic documents in support of Form I-485:

• Completed and signed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

• Fees.

• Photographs – as per the new guidelines.

• Medical result in a sealed envelope.

• Your “long-form” birth certificate. remember that this birth certificate includes your parents name.

• All documents pertaining to your “non-immigrant” history in the U.S: a complete copy of your passport (every page, including blank pages) showing every visa you have been issued to enter the U.S. and all entry and exit stamps. If you have U.S. visas in an expired passport, then provide a copy of both your current and expired passports. You should also provide copies of all Forms I-797 issued by USCIS in Approval of a “non-immigrant” status.

• Form G-325A – only for those in between the ages of 14 and 79 years.

• Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization – This is an optional form, if you want employment authorization document while the Green Card application is pending.

• Form I-131, Application for Travel Document – This is also an optional form, if you want travel document while the Green Card application is pending.

Remember other than the above mentioned documents in support of Form I-485, USCIS may requires more documents depending on the individuals case.

If you want text and/or e-mail notification, you need to attach Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to the first page of your Green Card application.

Within 24 hours of accepting your application for processing, USCIS will send you a text and/or e-mail notification that your application has been accepted. The message will provide a brief statement on how to get additional information about the status of your case.

Applicants are required to notify USCIS of any change of address that occurs while an application is pending.

While your application is pending, you will receive a notice to appear at a local Application Support Center to have your “biometrics” captured. When you appear for your appointment, you will have your fingerprints and photograph taken. Please be aware that failure to show up for your appointment or reschedule your appointment may result in the delay or denial of your application. After you have appeared for your Biometrics Appointment, you must wait for USCIS to complete processing of your case. If an interview is required, you will be issued an appointment notice to complete processing. Otherwise, you will receive a final decision on your application via mail.


Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

One Response to “What supporting documents must I submit with my Green Card application?”

RSS Feed for Immigrate In USA Comments RSS Feed

Applying for a green card can take a long time. Requirements are meticulously reviewed and a lot of applicants get denied. It takes patience to apply for something like this.

Where's The Comment Form?

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: